The family of a visitor from India, who died from her injuries after being scalded in the shower, has made a compensation claim against Premier Inn.
In August 2012, Kalyani Uthaman (59) was holidaying in Edinburgh, and staying at the Premier Inn in Newcraighall, when she suffered burns to 25% of her body due to being scalded in the shower. She was taken to hospital, where she died six weeks later due to multiple organ failure.
Doctors attributed Kalyani´s death to the level of burns she sustained in the shower accident; and, although Police Scotland and Edinburgh City Council investigated her death, a decision was made by the Crown Office not to hold a fatal accident enquiry.
Disappointed by the lack of information being released to them, the Uthaman family have now made a compensation claim against Premier Inn and the owners of the budget hotel chain, Whitbread PLC, seeking damages in excess of £1 million.
Kalyani´s son – Sundar – told BBC Scotland “It is an irreparable loss, given the love and affection she had for us and we had for her. It was something none of us expected would ever happen in a very safe country like the UK.”
The Court of Session in Edinburgh has scheduled the first hearing of the compensation claim against Premier Inn for November 20th – a hearing described as a “significant milestone” by the family´s solicitor. The first hearing will set a timetable for future hearings.
Following the news that the family were making a compensation claim against Premier Inn, a spokesperson for the hotel chain said: “This is a very sad incident. Our thoughts are with the family of Ms Uthaman during what must have been, and which must remain, an extremely difficult period for them.”
However, the statement was later criticised by the family´s solicitor for being the first communication regarding the incident from Whitbread PLC for over two years.